Ice Storm Information & Precautions
The National Weather Service has issued an Ice Storm Warning for western Franklin County including Hawley from 6 pm Sunday evening until 7 am Tuesday morning. Freezing rain, sleet and some snow is forecast to fall during this period, leading to significant icing of trees, possible tree damage and downed power lines. Ice accumulations are expected of between a half and three quarters inch, and possible snow of up to 2 inches.
Residents should prepare beforehand for serious icing and loss of power on Monday and Tuesday. While the highway department will be sanding our roads, travel will be hazardous at best and may be impossible at times. Residents should be ready to treat their walks and driveways to prevent falls or accidents.
Prepare for the Storm:
Before the storm arrives, residents should make these preparations
- Charge cell phones and keep them charged.
- Make sure you have sand and salt mix to treat your walks and driveways
- Have a supply of bottled water and any medications you will need on hand
- Get any food you need for this period before the storm comes
- If you plan to use a gas grill to cook, make sure your propane tank is full
- Make sure you have working flashlights and batteries for them
- If you have a wood stove or backup heat source, make sure it is ready to use and keep flammables away from it when in use
- If you have a backup generator, make sure you have fuel for it and test to see if it starts and runs.
- Make sure that pets or livestock have sufficient water available to weather a period of power outage
- Have a rotary or non-electric phone available to use when the power is off